Welcome to American English Conversations: Lesson 3. In this lesson you have 3 dialogues to practice, read, translate, pronounce in English, and read along with the video. Please focus and do your best so that you can learn and improve your listening, reading, pronunciation, and communication skills in English. Don’t forget to use the comments section below to share your thoughts and what you’ve learned today.
PART 1 — DIRECTIONS: Read the dialogues below in English, then translate them and read them in your primary language.
Dialog 7: Happiness
- Linda: You look happy today!
- Frank: I am happy. I just heard I passed my physics exam.
- Linda: Congratulations! I’m glad somebody’s happy.
- Frank: Why? What’s the matter?
- Linda: Oh, I’m just worried, I guess I have to take a history exam next week.
Dialog 8: Ordering a Meal
- Waiter: Are you ready to order now, sir?
- Ralph: Yes. I’ll have tomato soup, roast beef, mashed potatoes, and peas.
- Waiter: That’s tomato soup…roast beef…mashed potatoes…and peas. How do you want the beef—rare, medium, or well done?
- Ralph: Well done, please.
- Waiter: Anything to drink?
- Ralph: Hmmm… just water. I’ll have coffee with my dessert.
Dialog 9: Birthdays
- Patty: How old are you?
- Susan: Nine … but I’ll be ten on May sixteenth.
- Patty: I’m older than you! I’ll be ten on May fourteenth.
- Susan: Are you going to have a birthday party?
- Patty: Maybe. I’ll have to ask my mother.
PART 2 — DIRECTIONS: Watch, read-along, and pronounce with the video below a minimum of 2-3 times. After you finish, let us know what you learned via the comments section below.