Welcome to American English Conversation: Lesson 47. In this lesson you have 1 discussion topic to encourage conversation beyond this activity as well as a dialogue to practice, read, translate, pronounce in English, and read along with the video. Please focus and do your best so that you can learn and improve your listening, reading, pronunciation, and communication skills in English. Don’t forget to use the comments section below to share your thoughts and what you’ve learned today.
Part 1: Directions: Watch the video, read the text below, then translate the text in your primary language and read it again.
If you were to have an all-paid vacation, where would you go? What would you do? Today’s Conversation Topic for English Learners is: “Taking a Vacation”. Imagine you’re having a conversation about vacations in English. What would you say? What would others say? Here are a few suggestions:
— You’re at work and you’re feeling tired. You’re thinking about getting a vacation so you could relax and reinvigorate. You decide to ask your boss for a vacation. What would you say to your boss? What would your boss say to you?
— You’re at home, talking with your family about organizing a family vacation to Cancun, Mexico. What would you tell your family? What would your family tell you?
— You’re on vacation at a mountain resort. There’s lots of snow and you’re planning to go skiing with your friends. What would you tell your friends? What would your friends tell you?
Vacations are wonderful experiences when you plan them and go to places you desire to visit. Where would you like to go on vacation?
PART 2 — DIRECTIONS: Read the dialogue below in English, then translate it and read it in your primary language.
Dialog 25: Taking a Vacation
- Julie: I just bought a ticket to New York City. I’m so excited to see the city!
- Sophie: Good for you! Traveling is so much fun. I love discovering new places and new people. When are you leaving?
- Julie: Next week. I’m taking the red eye. It was cheaper. Hopefully, I’ll be able to sleep on the plane.
- Sophie: I wish I could go with you! New York is a magical place. You will have so much fun.
- Julie: I hope so. I’m going to visit my brother who lives there. I will stay for a week and then take the train down to Washington, D.C.
- Sophie: That sounds like a great vacation. I’m looking forward to a week at the beach for my summer vacation. I just want to relax.
PART 3 — DIRECTIONS: Watch, read-along, and pronounce with the video below a minimum of 2-3 times. After you finish, let us know what you learned via the comments section below.