Welcome to American English Conversation: Lesson 36. In this lesson you have 1 discussion topic to encourage conversation beyond this activity as well as a dialogue to practice, read, translate, pronounce in English, and read along with the video. Please focus and do your best so that you can learn and improve your listening, reading, pronunciation, and communication skills in English. Don’t forget to use the comments section below to share your thoughts and what you’ve learned today.
Part 1: Directions: Watch the video, read the text below, then translate the text in your primary language and read it again.
Hello Students. Today’s conversation topic is “At the Supermarket”. Imagine you’re at an American supermarket and you’re discussing in English. What would you say? What would others say? Here are a few suggestions:
— You’re at the bread section and you ask the baker if there’s any fresh warm bread. What would you say? What would the baker say?
— You’re at a supermarket in the USA with your parents and you want buy everything you wrote on your list. What would you say to your parents? What would your parents say?
— You’re at the meat section, and you ask the butcher for 3 pounds of steak. What would you tell the butcher? What would the butcher tell you?
All Americans do their shopping at supermarkets on a regular basis. What would you buy if you were in an American supermarket right now?
PART 2 — DIRECTIONS: Read the dialogue below in English, then translate it and read it in your primary language.
Dialog 14: At the Supermarket
- Louise: Hey, Julia … Look at those desserts! How about baking some cookies today?
- Julia: Hmm … Yeah, that’s a great idea! While we’re here, let’s pick up the ingredients.
- Julia: OK, what do we need?
- Louise: The recipe calls for flour, sugar and butter. Oh, and we also need eggs and chocolate chips.
- Julia: Why don’t you get the dairy ingredients? You’ll find those in the refrigerated section in the back of the store. I’ll get the dry ingredients – they’re in aisle 10.
- Louise: Great! Let’s meet at the checkout.
- Julia: OK. See you there.
PART 3 — DIRECTIONS: Watch, read-along, and pronounce with the video below a minimum of 2-3 times. After you finish, let us know what you learned via the comments section below.