Welcome to American English Conversations: Lesson 9. In this lesson you have 3 dialogues to practice, read, translate, pronounce in English, and read along with the video. Please focus and do your best so that you can learn and improve your listening, reading, pronunciation, and communication skills in English. Don’t forget to use the comments section below to share your thoughts and what you’ve learned today.
PART 1 — DIRECTIONS: Read the dialogues below in English, then translate them and read them in your primary language.
Dialogue 25 – Shopping
- Saleslady: Can I help you?
- Gloria: Yes, I’m looking for a pair of white gloves. I think I wear size six.
- Saleslady: The white gloves are on this counter. Let’s see… here’s a size six. These are very nice, and they’re washable, too.
- Gloria: Oh, I’ll try them on. Hmmm… they seem to fit. How much are they?
- Saleslady: Five dollars.
- Gloria: All right. I’ll take them.
- Saleslady: That’ll be five twenty with the tax.
Dialogue 26 – Transportation
- Joyce: Shall we take a taxi or a bus to the meeting?
- Bill: We’d better take a bus. It’s almost impossible to find a taxi during rush hour.
- Joyce: Isn’t that a bus stop over there?
- Bill: Yes… Oh, oh! There’s a bus now. We’ll have to run to catch it.
- Joyce: 0.K.… Oh, no! We just missed it.
- Bill: Never mind. There’ll be another one in ten minutes.
Dialogue 27 – Comparing
- Jean: I think this material is much prettier than that, don’t you?
- Lois: Well, I don’t know. I like them both. Why do you like that one better?
- Jean: Well, the design is more interesting, and the colors are brighter. And it’s not as expensive, either.
- Lois: Oh, I see what you mean. And besides, these colors are more becoming to you.
- Jean: Do you really think so? I’ll buy it, then.
PART 2 — DIRECTIONS: Watch, read-along, and pronounce with the video below a minimum of 2-3 times. After you finish, let us know what you learned via the comments section below.