Welcome to American English Conversations: Lesson 5. In this lesson you have 3 dialogues to practice, read, translate, pronounce in English, and read along with the video. Please focus and do your best so that you can learn and improve your listening, reading, pronunciation, and communication skills in English. Don’t forget to use the comments section below to share your thoughts and what you’ve learned today.
PART 1 — DIRECTIONS: Read the dialogues below in English, then translate them and read them in your primary language.
Dialog 13: Health
- Jane: I hear you’ve been ill.
- Cathy: Well, I had the flu for a couple of weeks, but I’m fine now.
- Jane: You’re looking well. By the way, did you hear about Mrs. Jackson?
- Cathy: No, What about her?
- Jane: She had such a bad case of the flu that they had to take her to the hospital.
- Cathy: Oh, I’m sorry to hear that!
Dialog 14: Sports
- Phil: Say, what’s your favorite sport?
- Jack: Hmmm… it’s hard to say. I like golf a lot—but I guess I like tennis better.
- Phil: Do you play much tennis?
- Jack: Yes, quite a bit. How about a game sometime?
- Phil: Sorry. I’m strictly a spectator —football, baseball, basketball, golf…I watch them all.
Dialog 15: Asking Directions
- Marilyn: Excuse Me. Could you tell me which way Dobson’s bookstore is?
- Nancy: Yes, it’s that way. You go two blocks, then turn left. It’s on the corner opposite the post office.
- Marilyn: Thanks I’ve only been in town a few days, so I really don’t know my way around yet.
- Nancy: Oh, I know how you feel. We moved here a year ago, and I still don’t know where everything is.
PART 2 — DIRECTIONS: Watch, read-along, and pronounce with the video below a minimum of 2-3 times. After you finish, let us know what you learned via the comments section below.