Welcome to American English Conversations: Lesson 19. In this lesson you have 3 dialogues to practice, read, translate, pronounce in English, and read along with the video. Please focus and do your best so that you can learn and improve your listening, reading, pronunciation, and communication skills in English. Don’t forget to use the comments section below to share your thoughts and what you’ve learned today.
PART 1 — DIRECTIONS: Read the dialogues below in English, then translate them and read them in your primary language.
Dialogue 25 – Making Plans
- Alice: When shall we meet?
- Sofia: You mean to talk about the party?
- Alice: Right. We really need to plan the party better this time. Remember what a mess it was at the last party?
- Sofia: I sure do. I hope we’ll do much more planning this time.
- Alice: Well, that’s why we’re going to meet tomorrow at my house. How does 7:30 sound to you?
- Sofia: Fine by me. I’ll call Jan and Judy. We’ll see you tomorrow.
Dialogue 26 – Neighborhood Problem
- Wife: We’ve got to do something about the neighbor’s dog!
- Husband: Why? Has he been into your flower garden again?
- Wife: The flower garden, the garbage can, and yesterday he started digging holes in the yard!
- Husband: Did you talk to Mrs. Gorham about it?
- Wife: You know how she is. All sweetness and light to your face but then she never does anything. They should either keep that animal in the house or tied up!
- Husband: I’ll talk to Hank about it tonight. He usually listens.
- Wife: We need more than listening, dear. We need action!
Dialogue 27 – Car Theft
- Byron: Did you hear about what happened to Howard?
- Vance: No, what?
- Byron: Someone stole his car!
- Vance: Really? When did it happen?
- Byron: Last night. He left it parked in front of his girl friend’s house and when he came out to go home, it was gone.
- Vance: Wow! That’s really tough. He just bought it last month, didn’t he?
- Byron: Uh-huh. Fortunately, he’s got insurance and the police think they already have a good lead.
- Vance: Well, I certainly wish him luck.
PART 2 — DIRECTIONS: Watch, read-along, and pronounce with the video below a minimum of 2-3 times. After you finish, let us know what you learned via the comments section below.